From October 25 -> December 4th there were 20,022 Tweets Containing the words European Union, European Parliament and European Commission. This means tweets were quite specific and could not be mistaken for anything else, further of course the majority of posts were in English, although more than 30 languages were represented. Many of the quick findings reinforce numerous Social Network Analysis studies which show that most network opinions and frames are controlled by a minority of people – between 10-20% i.e. elite level. Social media, despite a lot of hype, has not changed this.
The context surrounding these 20K Tweets
- Were produced by 13,832 accounts
- Retweets made up 28% of all Tweets
- The Top 18 Tweets – in terms of most retweeted, made up 9% of all tweets
- Top 18 Tweets that made up 9% of all tweets were made by 11 accounts
- The most visible and retweeted Tweet was a coalition with FC Barcelona (below) – ( This leaves me to question why are there not more collaborations between the public and private sector in the EU?)
Top Accounts from Top 18 Tweets:
- Wikileaks – 6 Tweets in Top 18 (33%)
- Economist – 2 tweets in top 18 (11%)
Top Users commenting on the Euro. UKIP is seems to be taking a proactive approach to framing it’s primary fodder against the EU (the Euro Crisis).
- @UKIP 32
- @YanniKouts 23
- @lindayueh 18
- @AssangeC 9
- @LSEpublicevents 8